Re: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: John Adams (jadamsat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 18:11:30 PST

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, M Lister wrote:

    > > 2. You can copy a sim card.
    >
    > Please forgive me if this sounds naive, but I was under a *STRONG*
    > impression that it is practically impossible to copy a smart card. [Isnt
    > that what is used as a SIM card]. From the little that I know of smart

    You really might want to look around at all of the resources people have
    devoted to cracking, breaking, and emulating smart cards for Direct TV,
    Dish network, and DSS. If it's any indication of what we're to expect when
    we use smart cards as the sole authentication factor in a security (or
    currently for that matter) then we still have a long way to go before
    smart cards can be widely used as a secure means of authentication.

    GSM security has been cracked as well, nearly days after it released in
    europe.

    -john

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/