RE: Can you impersonate a client side cert??

From: Ed Moyle (emoyleat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 10:03:49 PST

    Darren,

    	Most likely you won't be able to do this.  The web server would have to trust the CA that you choose to issue your spurious cert.  If you could get a cert from a CA that the server trusts with the same CN as whoever you are trying to impersonate, the built-in cert checking features of most webservers still would not let you impersonate the legitimate user provided they are using the built-in cert to user mapping features of the web server.

    	As a caveat, I should note that it is *possible* that some poorly written application software might use just CN without regard to issuing CA to do the user mapping (personally I would use SN as issued by a particular CA,) but my advice would be to pursue another avenue since this is a pretty big "if."

    -E