Re: gotomypc

From: Rainer Duffner (rainer@ultra-secure.de)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 06:05:42 PST

    kevin mckay writes:

    > Has anybody dealt with the services from https://www.gotomypc.com it
    > seems to allow end users to completely circumvent an existing network
    > security infrastructure.

    I think that is just one of several ones:
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Internet/Privacy/Tools_an
    d_Services/

    Though not all will do the same.
    Most notably, to me, is htthost/httport:
    http://www.htthost.com/

    > The user signs up with gotomypc and establishes a out bound connection
    > through the firewall to a go to my pc server, then there server listens
    > for a connection that is connected to your internal network
    > and the scariest thing is that the listining ports for inbound
    > connections are on a gotomypcserver so how would you even audit?.

    Once the tunnel is encrypted, there are not many options left:
     - blackhole the relevant IP-adresses -> this becomes futile once users
      use htthost on one of their home DSL-lines
     - run spyware (SMS etc) on the client-pc and employe an armada of
      tech-support people to periodically check every employee-PC for what
      the user has running. -> this will probably boost the economy and get you
      bonus-points from HR and upper management
     - try to lock down the client-configuration to up the ante for the
      employees -> helps until someone has found a way to circumvent it, until
      then it might even annoy the honest users
     - install host-based IDS -> mitigates break-ins that can occur and helps
      pin-down the individual in case

    Finally:
     - admit it is a social problem, that cannot be totally dealt with
      technology only.

    cheers,
    Rainer
    Rainer Duffner                   Munich
    rainer@ultra-secure.de          Germany
    http://www.i-duffner.de        Freising
        When shall we three meet again
      In thunder, lightning, or in rain?

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/