Re: Arp spoofing & dsniff

From: kumar mahadevan (kumar_mahadevan_6at_private)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 13:24:33 PDT

    thanks for the reply.

    I am new to this so purely going by the theory on
    SANS.
    http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/switched_network.htm

    Which says, that there are 3 ways to sniff on swicthed
    networks.

        1. ARP spoofing.
        2. MAC flooding.
        3. MAC Duplicating.

    number 2 is not an option.
    number 1 is ok except I did not want risk breaking
    Network connectivity even after enabling IP
    Forwarding.

    numer 3 is "supposed to be the easiest" since one just
    changes to the NIC. Also according to this article
    there is no need to ARP Spoof, if using MAC
    Duplicating.

    ----->    Hence, back to the original question:
    Even though your answer makes sense as well (although
    the victim computer has lost NO connectivity yet. The
    victim whose MAC address I have duplicated on my RH 7
    box has full network connectivity, still)

    ----->    how do I now get Telnet sessions originating
    from the victim to destination servers:23

    thanks again

    kumar.

    --- Ryan Russell <ryanat_private> wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 May 2002, kumar mahadevan wrote:
    >
    > > If I am on a Switched network and I change my MAC
    > > address on my RH 7 box to the victim's (using
    > > IFCONFIG). Now, how do I capture say for e.g
    > Telnet
    > > sessions between the victim and a server running
    > > telnet service.
    >
    > If you change your MAC address to be that of the
    > victim (the box in the
    > same broadcast domain as your attacking machine)
    > then you will be fighting
    > the victim for control of the MAC address in the
    > switch.  The switch will
    > alternately think that that MAC address is in one
    > port, then another, as
    > frames come in with that as a source address.  In
    > general, you'll just
    > make the victim unable to communicate, and yuo won't
    > be able to monitor
    > most of the traffic.
    >

    > > I don't want to ARP cache poison  nor MAC flood
    > the
    > > switch.
    >
    > Then your best bet is to poison the ARP cache on the
    > victim, to make it
    > think you're the other box, or the router.
    > Configure your box to forward
    > the packets so you don't break the communications.
    >

    > 					Ryan

    Games, Movies, Music & Sports! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/