Re: Using IPaqs or other handhelds as penetration devices

From: William Knowles (erehwonat_private)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 05:00:43 PDT

    On Thu, 16 May 2002, Johann van Duyn wrote:

    Hello Johann,

    > I was wondering whether any exploits or penetration tools exist that
    > run on Compaq IPaq PDAs (running Windows CE or whatever they call it
    > now), or any other handheld devices, for that matter. This is part
    > risk analysis regarding the use of such devices, and part looking at
    > using such a device for lightweight ad-hoc penetration or
    > vulnerability testing.

    You might be interested in a product called AirMagnet that runs on the
    Compaq iPaq.

    There's more information at:

    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/isn/2002-q2/0171.html

    Also Bitshift has a nice tutorial on building a wardriving kit for the
    iPaq worth a look at: http://www.bitshift.org/wardriving.shtml

    I'm sure there are others, I'm just now trying to put together a
    resource for C4I.org of sites with information on vulnerability
    testing with handheld computers.

    Cheers!

    William Knowles
    erehwonat_private

    *====================================================================*
    "Communications are the nervous system of the entire SAC organization,
    and their protection is therefore, of the greatest importance. I like
    to say that without communications, all I control is my desk, and that
    is not a very lethal weapon."      ---      General T.S. Power U.S.A.F
    erehwonat_private     PGP Key on request     http://www.c4i.org/erehwon/

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/