Re: PenTesting Email AntiVirus

From: Volker Tanger (volker.tangerat_private)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 00:59:06 PDT

    Greetings!

    Ilici Ramirez wrote:

    > What ways do you know to pen-test email antivirus
    > software?
    >
    > A cool one that has been published before is to zip a
    > very large file that contains the same character. The
    > result, a very small file attached to an email could
    > deplete resources on the antivirus server. Do you know
    > any AV exploitable with this?

    That usually "only" fills up the hard disc - which is a simple DoS
    attack (in contrast to penentration) and not further exploitable.
    A known pre-packaged is the 42.zip monster, containing only "0.dll", 4GB
      of zeros each: 16 libs with 16 books of 16 chapters of 16 docs with 16
    pages = 16^5 files of 4GB each = 4 PetaByte

    Trend InterScan VirusWall was vulnerable but now this attack only blocks
    one (forked-off) child process for the duration of the scan. Files
    within the archive are extracted one-by-one (instead of extracting all
    ad then scanning all the lot), a full hard disc fails graciously (and
    the scanning restarted). It is recommendable to have the scan partition
    separate from the system temp partition, though (just to be safe).

    IIRC CT's Mailsweeper fails this test, merrily crashing after filling
    the hard disc.

    I have not DoS-tested other products yet.

    Bye
    	Volker

    volker.tangerat_private                                 discon GmbH
    IT-Security Consulting                           Wrangelstrasse 100
    http://www.discon.de/                         10997 Berlin, Germany
    PGP-Fingerprint: 5323 a4f7 a7c2 b8ef 4653 05ce d2ea 2b74  b94c c68e

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/