Windows 2000 Offline Files on a Laptop

From: Johann van Duyn (Johann_van_Duynat_private)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 02:52:22 PDT

    Hi there...

    Has anyone on the list ever hacked away at a laptop machine with Windows
    2000 Offline Folders? Are these folders encrypted at all, and if I were to
    reset the user's password and then log in, would that give me access to the
    folders? Any other concerns? I am trying to assess the risks involved in
    the possible use of offline folders by our mobile workforce.

    Thanks!

    Johann van Duyn, CISSP
    IT Risk and Security Manager: British American Tobacco South Africa
    Stellenbosch, South Africa
    Tel. +27 (21) 8883765
    Cel. +27 (82) 4588472
    Fax. +27 (21) 8838692
    E:mail: johann_van_duynat_private
    "Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
    they do not manage,
    and those who manage what they do not understand."

    -- Anonymous

    Confidentiality Notice: The information in this document and
    attachments is confidential and may also be legally privileged.
    It is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Internet
    communications are not   secure and therefore British American
    Tobacco does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
    this message. If you are not the intended recipient,please notify us
    immediately and then delete this document. Do not disclose the
    contents of this document to any other person, nor take any copies.
    Violation of this notice may be unlawful.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/