Re: Scanners and unpublished vulnerabilities - Full Disclosure

From: batz (batsyat_private)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 11:35:09 PDT

    On Wed, 29 May 2002, David Litchfield wrote:

    :This comment (and some which follow) indicate you've missed on of the key
    :points. When the vendor does release a patch NGSSoftware will follow up with
    :full details as normal. The VNA is not intended to replace our normally full
    :advisory - it simply exists as an interim solution to 'help' ensure vendors
    :release patches in a timely fsahion.

    Aah, this wasn't clear to me and (evidently) many others. I'm sure it's
    in there somewhere, but maybe you could emphasize it a bit more?

    :By putting these checks in Typhon, which we've always done, we buy a week or
    :two advantage over something like Nessus.

    Indeed. I don't see how this process is even inconsistent with the full
    disclosure approach. I have admittedly been more of an advocate than a
    practitioner of full disclosure, but maybe someone could point out more
    clearly how this will deprive the underground of its toys? ;)

    Cheers,

    --
    batz

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/