RE: Tools for Detecting Wireless APs - from the wire side.

From: Duffy, Shawn (SDuffyat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 10:23:35 PDT

    You can also go to SANS:

    http://rr.sans.org/wireless/wireless_list.php

    - -----Original Message-----
    From: Kroma Pierre [mailto:kromaat_private]
    Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 1:28 PM
    To: Isherwood Jeff C Contr AFRL/IFOSS
    Cc: pen-testat_private
    Subject: Re: Tools for Detecting Wireless APs - from the wire side.

    perhaps you can try the following tools:

    win:
    - - netstumbler:	www.netstumbler.com	(Orinoco - chipset)
    - - apsniff:	http://www.bretmounet.com/ApSniff/	(prism2)

    linux:
    - - kismet:	http://www.kismetwireless.net/	(prism2, cisco)
    - - wellenreiter:	http://www.remote-exploit.org/	(prism2, cisco)

    Best regards,

    Pierre

    On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:22:13 -0000
    Isherwood Jeff C Contr AFRL/IFOSS <Jeffrey.Isherwoodat_private>
    wrote:

    > I'm doing some research for a paper on wireless security, and I've
    > been trying to find a decent way for an administrator to probe his
    > network for APs that might be attached.
    >
    > There seems to be very little out there for this sort of thing.
    >
    > NMAP can recognize a fingerprint of some APs, but not all...
    >
    > ISS can sweep a wire, and report back on any that have SNMP
    > enabled...
    >
    > APTOOLS claims to be capable, but isn't that easy to use or figure
    > out (for me so far)
    >

    > Is there anything else out there?

    > -------- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security
    > Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service. For more information on
    > SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    > automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities
    > please see: https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

    - --
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

    Dipl.-Inform. Pierre Kroma
    Security Consultant

    System Security Schreiber (SySS)
    Friedrich-Dannenmann-Straße. 2
    72070 Tübingen
    Germany

    Voice:  	++49 7071-407856-014
    Fax:    	++49 7071-407856-019
    Mobil:  	++49 172-7121572
    mailto: 	Kromaat_private
    Key fingerprint = 927A B13E 16F5 BBAB 8F17  75EB D8E1 A9A4 F257 4EEC

    - ------