Re: blind demodulation - sound card - lucent winmodem

From: Evrim ULU (evrimat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 23:47:47 PDT

    Brass, Phil (ISS Atlanta) wrote:
    > not mistaken, the sound card can sample 44khz 8bits per sample 2 channels,
    > typically, so it actually does roughly 700kbits per second sampling.
    > However, all these extra bits won't help you reconstruct the stream if the
    > carrier frequency or whatever of the data stream is faster than 44khz.  Even
    > if the information content is less, if you are sampling too slowly, no
    > matter how precisely, you will not be able to reconstruct the stream.

    I don't know why you are stuck with the sound card properties. But good news are
    here: I've looked for national.com after your message and for only $10, i've
    found adc08200 which is an 8 bit adc and has a 200 MSPS (mega samples per
    second) sampling rate. $10 is very cheap so, we are not stuck with the 44khz
    sound card.

    > Secondly, the FBI has got "data tap" (modem-deciphering) devices, starting
    > in 1995: http://www.nctp.org/docs/nwsltr9912/9912p02.html.

    I think, they've already done all the things that i'm gonna do in next 10 years
    but this won't stop me ehe:-)

    > Perhaps you could get in touch with agent Michael Morris and find out how
    > his equipment works, or whom he bought it from?

    Heh, i don't think agents are going to like me.

    --
    Evrim ULU
    evrimat_private / evrimat_private

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/