RE: OpenSSH (version < 3.4p1) && linux

From: Benninghoff, John (John.Benninghoffat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 09:34:40 PDT

    This advisory from OpenSSH should help clear this up: http://www.openssh.com/txt/preauth.adv

    Linux and Solaris are vulnerable if they support logon via s/key (I don't know if this is a default or not), due to a bug in the ChallengeResponseAuthentication code. They _might_ be vulnerable to a bug in the PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt code, however, this has not been confirmed, and AFAIK, there are no working exploits currently circulating (i.e. Gobbles didn't release code for Linux) Considering that the flaws are almost identical, the PAM bug is most likely exploitable.