Re: Using a Compromised Router to Capture Network Traffic

From: Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) (naifat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 08:43:51 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:43:49AM -0800, Penetration Testing wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have recently completed some experimentation into using a captured
    > router to sniff network traffic on a remote network.  This is in the same
    > vein as Gauis' article in Phrack 56 (Things to do in cisco land when you
    > are dead).
    >
    > I have tried to build on Gauis' work in that I terminated the GRE tunnel
    > on a Cisco router instead of a *nix machine.  I explored a couple of
    > possible scenarios for this, the net result being that it is possible to
    > remotely capture (bi-directional) network traffic using NO customised
    > tools; all that is required is one cisco router with vanilla IOS, and a
    > machine that can run snoop or tcpdump.

    Why having a "so complex" infrastructure ?

    All you need is linux 2.4.X kernel with netfilter and GRE support and the following tools:

    - iptables
    - iproute2
    - any sniffing/hijacking tools ( ettercap, dsniff, hunt, ethereal )

    Using this configuration you can do whatever you want:

    - create funny policy routing rules
    - intercept traffic
    - hijack traffic
    - decrement TTL and manipulate traffic in many way
    - insert NAT rules to eventually bypass firewall

    and you don't need to have a cisco router neither to have to cope with GRE
    encapsulation :)

    Using a cisco router for hacking purpose is crazy, use linux! :)

    Regards

    --

    Fabio Pietrosanti ( naif )
    E-mail: naifat_private - naifat_private

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/