RE: Using a Stand-Alone Network Printer as a network attack entry point?

From: Ofir Arkin (ofir@sys-security.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 09:37:29 PDT

    Nick, and all

    Any network device is a potential caveat for network security.

    Printers were and still are a very good network device to be subverted.

    Not only by taking full control and installing new software but as well
    as a tool to reproduce your CEO's personal letters or just send them
    elsewhere (hint, hint)...

    As I noted, this is not a new idea but it is still a nice one :)

    There are several nice ideas' that are similar, you should check out the
    following talks given at BH USA 2002 (presentations are available from:
    http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-02/bh-usa-02-speakers.html):

    - DC Phone Home, Higbee & Davis
    - Attacking Networked Embedded Systems, FX and kim0

    Hope this helps

    Ofir Arkin [ofir@sys-security.com]
    Founder
    The Sys-Security Group
    http://www.sys-security.com
    PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA