Re: Pentesting a wireless Symbol Technologies barcode scanner system

From: Glenn Larsson (ichininat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 15:27:23 PDT

    bserraat_private wrote:

    > All,
    > Does anyone have any information or has done a wireless pen-test on a
    > Symbol Technologies manufacturing barcode scanning system? I have heard
    > that it is possibly 802.11 but uses some propriety encryption and/or
    > protocol. Any insight would be helpful.

    Hi.

    All i know is that Symbol have developed their own kerberos
    implementation for
    their handhelds + Wireless Networker & Companion, it does not say any
    specifics
    about the implementation, i.e. using kerberos for _key exchange_ but
    still using
    rc4 for encryption. Try some basic kerberos attacks against it and see
    for
    yourself (Would not be surprised if you found something usefull)

    - My _guess_ is that the whole system it's backwards compatible with WEP
    and
    security can be logon-downgraded via an old client that want to speak to
    the
    network.

    - Symbol AP(*)/Bridge Default pwd's: "Symbol" & "SYMBOL".
    (24xx/302x/41xx)

    - If you find an old PDT, the wep key is found under
    HKLM\Software\Symbol
    (i think.)¨ This can be transfered to another device then reused on that
    (Did it back in 2000 - worked fine)

    - PocketPC 3.0 was also succeptible to a nobrainer ICMP-DoS attack;
    never
    did write an advisory regarding this (not tried PPC 2k+2)

    - Note that old clients run dos binaries (PPT 31xx/61xx), usual software
    found == MCL & wavelink, you can have fun with these as well.

    If you want to know more, i suggest you ask OSP people to send you
    details
    regarding security, also, i think there is a whitepaper on regarding
    their
    kerberos, i've never read it.

    Regards,
    Glenn

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/