Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions SmartHTML Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

From: Gary O'leary-Steele (garyo@sec-1.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 06:47:23 PDT

    Hello all,

    I am looking for details on the recent "Microsoft FrontPage Server
    Extensions SmartHTML Buffer Overflow Vulnerability" the advisory is a bit
    vague and I can't work out the format of the request required to reproduce
    the overflow.

    I’ve tried the usual

    http://target/null.shtml?AAAA>AAAA=x

    http://target/AAAA>AAAA.shtml

    etc but to no avail.

    I need this to update our IDS system and to write exploit code for the
    vulnerability (which I will share).

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Kind Regards
    Gary