Re: OpenVMS resources

From: Steve Edwards (sedwardsat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 10:48:34 PDT

    Here's a technique that I (if I remember correctly) used to recover from a
    lost SYSTEM password.

    Here are 2 ways to break into a VMS system. Note that you must have
    physical access to the console.

    # boot the system into a converstional bootstrap
    # SYSBOOT> SET/STARTUP _OPA0:
    # SYSBOOT> CONTINUE
    # fix the problem
    # MCR SYSGEN
    # SYSGEN> USE CURRENT
    # SYSGEN> SET/STARTUP SSY$SYSTEM:STARTUP.COM
    # SYSGEN> WRITE CURRENT
    # SYSGEN> EXIT
    # @SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP

    # boot the system into a converstional bootstrap
    # SYSBOOT> SET UAFALTERNATE 1
    # SYSBOOT> CONTINUE
    # fix the problem
    # MCR SYSGEN
    # SYSGEN> USE CURRENT
    # SYSGEN> SET UAFALTERNATE 0
    # SYSGEN> WRITE CURRENT
    # SYSGEN> EXIT
    # @SYS$SYSTEM:SHUTDOWN

    It's been a long time since I've [ab]used VMS, but I think there were some
    issues with DECnet that allowed privilege escalation. Old versions of
    Oracle may prove fruitful as well.

    On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Qyves wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > During a pen-test I identified a machine running openVMS.
    >
    > I googled but could only find a couple of documents on OpenVMS, namely one from Compaq (openVMS guide to system security) and one from SANS reading room (a primer on OpenVMS) that refer to openVMS security.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knows of other resources (papers and tools) that can be used when pen-testing/auditing/securing an OpenVMS system so as to know places I need to look for info.
    >
    > Regards,

    > The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp
    >
    > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

    > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    > Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    > automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    > https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve Edwards      sedwardsat_private      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST
    Newline           pagesteveat_private            Fax: +1-760-731-3000