RE: Windows Heap Overflows In General

From: Brett Moore (brettat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 13:56:57 PST

    Dave wrote:
    > e.g.
    > call dword ptr [ecx + 14H]
    >
    > It's important to remember that heap overflows isn't just about
    > overflowing
    > character arrays that have been malloc()ed.

    Yup thats true, playing with different sizes and differents hex codes to
    overflow can land you in many different spots such as

    call [ecx + ??]
    mov [ecx],[eax]
    movsb
    cmp al,?? -> mov something.

    The main point I was trying to press is that we can use the routines to
    write our egg into a known writable address. Albiet a tricky and time
    consuming way, so the trick is to write a small jumper to known memory and
    call the jumper. The jumper can then locate out main shell code and run it.

    With the 4 bytes you are limited to something like [reg +/- 80] or so... But
    can do stuff like add esp,?? ret or prepend our jumper to known fixed hex
    codes so as we can leave a byte or two out giving us 6 bytes.

    From the recent CFMX6 overflow. The exploit lands on the normal mov
    [ecx],eax carries on checks a byte to see if there is more, and then uses
    another byte to calculate the offset to where the next structure is. Even if
    only chunk structure has been overwritten we now have control of where the
    routine will look for the next structure. Massive amounts of repeated code
    allows for a good chance to hit the spot.

    Brett