Re: Testing Hubs and Switches

From: Cedric Blancher (blancher@cartel-securite.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 08:36:39 PST

    Le mer 11/12/2002 à 10:02, Julian Young a écrit :
    > Some time back, i guess it was last summer,  somebody   was asking for
    > volunteers to test their hubs and switches for security venerabilities.
    > as the time i think he wanted to  put together a who's who of switches
    > and hubs.
    > Does any one recognize this , remember any urls or what happened to the
    > project.  I was unable to participate at the time but still like to test
    > mine if they have not already been tested

    Project seem to be stalled :

    	http://www.alaricsecurity.com/ssp.html

    It was an interesting idea, but the only submission is about ARP cache
    poisoning, and we all know switches are vulnerable to this, just because
    of their design.

    > Further is any one knows of any testing tools / techniques i would also
    > be very interested

    Taranis will be a good start :

    	http://www.bitland.net/taranis/

    Taranis relies on MAC spoofing to redirect network traffic.

    You can also have a look at dsniff package :

    	http://monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/

    It comes with macof tool that perform CAM table flooding. A switch can
    fall into repeater mode for some MAC when CAM table is full.

    If you want a complete view of switches attacks, have a look at Sean
    Convery presentation at Black Hat USA 2002 you can find here :

    	http://opensores.thebunker.net/pub/mirrors/blackhat/presentations/bh-usa-02/

    You'll find layer 2 attacks such MAC attacks, ARP attacks, protocols
    attacks (CDP, DTP, VTP), VLAN hopping and others.

    --
    Cédric Blancher  <blancher@cartel-securite.fr>
    Consultant en sécurité des systèmes et réseaux  - Cartel Sécurité

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/