Re: PerlModule Apache::AuthDBI

From: Jamie Lawrence (jalat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 15:08:43 PST

    On Tue, 07 Jan 2003, Joe Luna wrote:

    > While doing a web server audit I came across a backup copy of my clients
    > httpd.conf file. There is a password protected directory in the conf
    > file (see below) my question is how do I use this information to gain
    > further access to the server? I can see the host and DB name as well as
    > the username/password which I'm assuming is some sort of administrative
    > account.
    >
    > What I'm not sure of is the type of database or even how to connect
    > using the credentials gained from the conf file.
    >
    > Any pointers?

    This is a Postgres database. (that is determined by the dbi connect
    string - see the 'Pg'?)

    Assuming you have the postgres client on a local machine, you can try
    logging in to it doing something like

    psql -d main -h client.com -U username -W password

    Odds are that won't work, assuming a competent admin. Postres has the
    notion of "host based access" that's defined in a config file (that
    lives in various places under different OSes, under Debian, for
    instance, it is /etc/postgres/hba.conf), which controls, well, host
    based access.

    So, if you can get a shell on the apache server box, you can get database
    access with the privileges of the web server UID.

    Further poking around at things might require "man DBI::Pg" (assuming
    you have that perl module installed), "man postmaster", and "man psql"
    (both of those come from a postgres full install). Also very useful for
    postgres' flavor of SQL is http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/, and the
    O'Reilly books _Programming the Perl DBI_ and _Apache Modules in Perl and
    C_ (or something similar) are useful for understanding mod_perl and perl
    database handling.

    In general Postgres is a fairly solid database. Security-wise, it is
    hard to find problems with the database itself. People frequently write
    code that leaves you lots of oppurtunities on the front-end, however.

    Hope this helps, good luck.

    -j

    --
    Jamie Lawrence                                        jalat_private
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws"