Re: MS Terminal Services open to the world

From: Robert G. Ferrell (rferrellat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 09:19:48 PST

    At 10:09 AM 1/10/03 -0500, Ralph Los wrote:

    >         I've got a pretty good client of mine who absolutely refuses to heed
    >my warnings about keeping Terminal Services open to the world.  They rely on
    >Windows passwords and figure that's strong enough for all their servers
    >(management).  Now I'm given the task of auditing their
    >security/infrastructure and would like to come up some creative ways to back
    >up my point about MS TS open to the Internet being a bad idea.
    >
    >Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

    Not to be too obvious, why not hit them with a simple brute force/dictionary
    attack?  Or slap on a packet dumper and sniff their clear text traffic?

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    rgferrellat_private

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/