RE: Identify OS?

From: Noonan, Wesley (Wesley_Noonanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 12:03:56 PST

    If it is responding to SNMP, attempt to walk the MIB. That should tell you
    exactly what it is. If you have access to the segment it is on, you can
    sniff the wire for the community string to use. You could also try to pull
    the FTP banners from it. If it is a native windows box, it will pretty
    clearly tell you so. My bet though, and it is a WAG, is some flavor of unix.
    Too many *nix type ports opened, not enough MS type ports (yeah, I know, not
    a very scientific approach).

    Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
    Senior QA Rep.
    BMC Software, Inc.
    (713) 918-2412
    wnoonanat_private