Re: Vulnebrability level definition

From: Per Niila Albinsson (perat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 14:20:41 PST

    Hi

    From a vendor point of view I agree there is a difference. Though the
    complexity of exploiting a certain vulnerability would probably be a good
    indicator for the probability classification.A vendor can only give a very
    generic answer to these questions.

    When I suggested to take the probability in count I was targeting a scenario
    where a consultant will make a penetration test and present the result for
    the customers.
    /Per Niila

    > Amen to this. My personal belief is that one can not say what is the
    > severity of a bug. It all depends on how the equipment is used. It
    > may not be much about if it is a large network or not but if that
    > feature is used. Another question is "What is worth of your data?".
    > If some bug will expose something that is public anyway then it
    > boils down a nuisance. If it will expose your confidential data then
    > it is very serious indeed. The vendor can not know how a particular
    > feature will be used in a customer's environment. Yes, a vendor may
    > have some idea but, is it valid in all cases?
    >
    > Gaus

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/