Re: Online Scanning Services Vrs. Stand Alone Applications

From: oherrera (oherreraat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 07:12:45 PST

    Hi Alfred,

    I did some research on this for my former employer; the
    results are not online though but I will commment:

    Main disadvantages:
    a)the level of intrusiveness and information leaks. With
    online scanners you will end with someone else (third party)
    having detailed information on your vulnerabilities. This is
    simply not an option for some financial and governamental
    institutions (they require full control).

    b) With most products you end up with scanning probes
    comming through the net from and to fixed points. If someone
    in between is listening it may discover the types of attacks
    and even the results (for example your ISP or the ISP of
    your online scanning provider). There are alternatives such
    as scan engines appliances which is the case of Qualys, I'm
    not sure of Vigilante or FoundStone's FoundScan but it
    probably is too. With these appliances the scanning process
    takes place inside your borders and results are then sent
    encrypted to the provider; there is no much "online" on this
    process though but I believe it is more secure and also
    allows you to scan internal server in security zones.

    c) You are limited to scan only servers visible from the
    outside

    Main advantages: scan frecuency and correlation. The idea
    behind online scanning is doing scans as frequently as
    possible. Instead of scanning your servers once a month you
    could do it almost daily. This allows you to use the
    scanner's results with the patch management process (it will
    tell you what was patched and when). Also, by reducing the
    time gap you are able to react faster; In a worst case
    scenario with traditional scanning (say you scan your
    servers once a month), a new vulnerability might arise the
    day after your last scan. You either do another scan after
    upgrading your scanner's signatures or wait until the next
    month.

    With the appliance technology I believe that the advantages
    are mantained while the disadvantages of traditional online
    scanning are reduced.

    I hope this helps...

    Omar Herrera

    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/core"> http://www.securityfocus.com/core>