Re: Finding real host in Nmap -D Scans

From: H D Moore (hdmat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 22:02:34 PST

    Have to disagree with the "obsolete" statement. I ran an egress test from
    my cable connection and found no less than 40 different class C networks
    I could spoof packets from. While many of these networks were in the same
    class B subnet, they could still be used to effective obsfucate the real
    source of a port scan. Actually, using a related address makes tracing it
    back even harder, since even TTL tricks and router logs won't help you.

    It does narrow down your source to specific provider/geographic area, but
    still doesn't provide you with a single address to report. An intelligent
    attacker would spoof a few dozen scans first from firewalled systems
    located at his own provider (ie. broadband routers that filter
    everything) and only perform the "real" scan with a decoy scan, using the
    scapegoat system as one of the sources. Then again, anyone who wants to
    expend this level of effort could just use the IP ID trick and you would
    never see a single packet from thier real address.

    -HD