Mystery service on tcp/205

From: Andrew Simmons (andrew.simmons@mis-cds.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 08:03:48 PST

    Hi all,

    pen-testing a slightly unusual IIS 5 box. Along with
    FTP, HTTP, NNTP (slightly odd... this is a corporate
    webserver for the Greek branch of a large transnational
    corporation), it's listening on TCP port 205. This is
    listed as an unused Appletalk port.

    Telnetting to it is most intriguing..:

    [andrews@asdfgh andrews]# telnet
    foo.bar.123-123-123-123.gr 205
    Trying 123.123.123.123...
    Connected to foo.bar.123-123-123-123.gr (123.123.123.123).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HELP
    2,0,Login required
    quit
    closeogin required
    2,0,Login required

    It sits there responding "2,0,Login required" to any
    input. I've tried all the obvious strings with no
    avail. My Linux telnet is seeing only a carriage return
    rather than cr/nl pair, presumably because the target's
    a Windows machine.

    Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've
    Googled, searched the sec-focus archives etc to no avail.

    Did you know that you have VNC running on your network?
    Your hacker does. Plug your security holes now!
    Download a free 15-day trial of VAM:
    http://www2.stillsecure.com/download/sf_vuln_list.html