Re: Net:telnet exploit

From: Gerardo Richarte (core.lists.pentestat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 06:53:43 PST

    Dave Aitel wrote:

    > If you read the telnet protocol's RFC you might see where they mention
    > how FF is a control character of some sort, or something. So to send one
    > \xFF you need to escape it with another \xFF, which is being
    > automatically done for you.

        Gary: remember that, for the same reason,  if you send a single \xff, you won't
    see anything on the other side (unless the bug you are exploiting is before telnet's
    protocol decoding). i.e. Suppose you are using your $t to control a remote shell,
    then if you want the shell to recieve a \xff you need to send two of them.
        And while we are on it, most ftps also implement a downsized version on
    telnet's protocol, and for exploiting an ftp bug, you always always need to send
    \xff\xff instead of \xff.

        gera

    --- for a personal reply use: geraat_private

    top spam and e-mail risk at the gateway.
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam & viruses
    and gives you the reports to prove it. See exactly how much
    junk never even makes it in the door. Free 30-day trial:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfptl1