Re: Vulnerability scanners

From: oherrera (oherreraat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 09:08:59 PST

    Mh... I believe there are many other costs involved. Does
    Qualys provide source code to signatures? What is the cost
    (time/resources) of investigating false positives without
    this information?

    On the other hand, with commercial products you have someone
    to blame if the performance or results of a product are not
    satisfactory (based on a contract), however, no matter how
    excelent nessus is, there is no one forced to give you
    support with nessus (unless you buy support from another
    company; I also believe Renaud Deraison was working on a
    distributed nessus architecture that might be based on
    appliances and provide you with commercial support but I'm
    not sure).

    Omar

    > Yesterday some reps from Qualys came with a sales
    > presentation for their QualysGuard appliance. I'd like to
    > solicit your comments and opinions on that product. In
    > particular, do you think it's $45,000 per year better than
    > Nessus? (That's about the cost we'd face based on our IP
    > address range.) They claim it costs as much in
    > administration to run Nessus. Does Qualys' claim to more
    > vulnerability signatures and faster/easier updates hold
    > water?

    top spam and e-mail risk at the gateway.
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam & viruses
    and gives you the reports to prove it. See exactly how much
    junk never even makes it in the door. Free 30-day trial:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfptl1