RE: Pen-Testing VPN

From: Rob Shein (shotenat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 11:30:56 PST

    When I've done this, I first tried to figure out what kind of VPN it was.
    What ports does the VPN use?  Not all of them use IPSEC, for example, and
    some have some additional ports for varying reasons.  If you know of some
    VPN gateways in existence that are of a known type, you can compare them to
    what you're pen-testing as well.

    Once you have an idea which kind it is, see if you can get a client for it
    (you usually can).  Then try to connect, and sniff the traffic.  Try
    different variables (login name, etc) and mix it up so that you can find the
    values being passed to the gateway...and then see what happens when you put
    too many characters in one of those fields.