Re: Port Scanners / Sniffers Review

From: cdowns (cdownsat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 10:49:38 PDT

    I would say  the top 5 for myself are definately:

    1: nmap ( the obvious )
    2: hping ( packet munipulation ++ )
    3: tcpdump ( great ASCII dump mode. )
    4: ngrep  ( search regex in packet sniff. )
    5: ettercap ( I use this instead of "hunt" now for simplicity and just
    works well. )

    ~!>D

    Sam wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I would be interested in knowing how penetration testers rate various
    >port scanners and packet sniffers?
    >
    >What would be the top five tools you would recommend?
    >
    >Thanks for any input,
    >Sam

    >Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    >world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    >Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    >The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    >sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    >ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-pen-test

           http://www.angrypacket.com
            Christopher M Downs,RHCE
            cdownsat_private