Re: Pen test courses

From: JC (security-focusat_private)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 22:54:18 PDT

    Hi Michael,

    I can't really give you a good comparison between the Isecom OPST and OPSA
    trainings without having much details about the SANS training courses...

    What I can tell you is that the OPST and OPSA courses are based on the
    OSSTMM (Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual).
    Isecom developped the OSSTMM, this methodology has evolved with the feedback
    from many security professionals, it is a living document that is in
    constant progress. Isecom has other open-source projects that all seem very
    interesting!
    You can download the OSSTMM from www.isecom.org. If you have ideas, you can
    feed them back to Isecom and your enhancements might make it in the official
    document! That is what I like about the OSSTMM, its quality enhancements can
    be made by all of us!

    There is no such reference on the SANS website I could find, maybe somebody
    that followed that training can give some more feedback on the source of the
    methodology used there.

    For the technical side, the Isecom classes focus on getting the job done
    with open source tools first of all, avoiding automatic tools to make sure
    that you understand what exactly the various tests are meant to achieve and
    how to validate them as being successful. This is meant to enhances your
    insight on the subject.

    I don't know for sure what the SANS courses concentrate on product-wise,
    here again, people who followed that training will be able to give you more
    details!

    Cheers,
    Martin