Re: Network Mapping/Discovery

From: Ricardo Abraham (raacat_private)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 16:17:23 PDT

    Hi Pen-Test's:

    # I thought Cheops would do this, but it doesn't do as well as I thought.
    # I want to find out what computers are connected to which switches.  I
    # don't care if it tells me what type of switch it is, but accurately tell
    # me what IP addresses are hanging off it.  Is there a mapping software
    # out there that will discover this stuff?

    In particular scenarios CDPR (Cisco Discovery Protocol Reporter) can help
    you...

    From SecurityFocus UNIX Tools Archive:

    "cdpr (Cisco Discovery Protocol Reporter) shows the switch and port that
    a machine is connected to, provided that the device supports CDP. It can
    also optionally decode the full CDP packet. cdpr was written to help
    network/system administrators find out about the equipment that a machine
    is connected to. This is done by capturing and decoding a Cisco Discovery
    Protocol (CDP) packet."

    Regards,

    Ricardo Abraham