RE: "Free" pen-test

From: Pete (pen_test_listat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 05:27:41 PDT

    J.A. Terranson wrote:

    > What you did was illegal, unethical, and *way* beyond
    > acceptable practice.  You're lucky he doesn't throw your a$$ in jail.

    Another misunderstanding. I tried to explain the circumstances and most
    replies seem to reflect an understanding. The flames I've had stem from
    insecurity of a different sort, I fear.

    Firstly, Fred's initial look was merely a port scan. In this country my
    understanding is that a port scan is not considered an intrusion and is
    therefore legal.

    Secondly, we discussed a pen-test with Mr Director on the understanding
    that our interest was a sales meeting (to discuss a full report and/or
    purchase of solutions) if he had concerns.

    As for mixing business interests, are you really saying that security
    testers should not sell security? I see your point, but in the small
    business community we have to be practical.

    How do you find your clients?

    Pete

    <snip>