Re: Penetration Testing or Vulnerability Scanning?

From: Osiokegbhai Ojior (oojiorat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 23:25:34 PDT

    I did a search on Google for FFIEC Information Security booklet and I'm
    coming up short on this item.  Could you please provide a link to a pdf or
    information on how to get a copy of this booklet?

    This topic is right on the money and I am in the process of re-documenting
    a formal understanding of what this all is for my company so that we're
    all on the same page.

    Thanks.

    -Osioke

    >I like the explanation in the new FFIEC Information Security booklet:
    >
    >"Penetration tests, audits, and assessments can use the same set of
    >tools in their methodologies. The nature of the tests, however, is
    >decidedly different. Additionally, the definitions of penetration test
    >and assessment, in particular, are not universally held and have changed
    >over time.
    >
    >Penetration Tests. A penetration test subjects a system to the
    >real-world attacks selected and conducted by the testing personnel. The
    >benefit of a penetration test is to identify the extent to which a
    >system can be compromised before the attack is identified and assess the
    >response mechanism=92s effectiveness. Penetration tests generally are not
    >a comprehensive test of the system=92s security and should be combined
    >with other independent diagnostic tests to validate the effectiveness of
    >the security process.
    >
    >Audits. Auditing compares current practices against a set of standards.
    >Industry groups or institution management may create those standards.
    >Institution management is responsible for demonstrating that the
    >standards they adopt are appropriate for their institution.
    >
    >Assessments. An assessment is a study to locate security vulnerabilities
    >and identify corrective actions. An assessment differs from an audit by
    >not having a set of standards to test against. It differs from a
    >penetration test by providing the tester with full access to the systems
    >being tested. Assessments may be focused on the security process or the
    >information system. They may also focus on different aspects of the
    >information system, such as one or more hosts or networks."
    >
    >-- Doug

    Latest attack techniques.

    You're a pen tester, but is google.com still your R&D team? Now you can get
    trustworthy commercial-grade exploits and the latest techniques from a
    world-class research group.

    Visit us at: www.coresecurity.com/promos/sf_ept1
    or call 617-399-6980