RE: IRIX Pen Testing/Hardening

From: Aleksander P. Czarnowski (alekcat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 03:04:41 PDT

    Hi
    > Does IRIX have something like Sun's JASS
    > or Titan ToolKit to lockdown systems?
    It's not exactly Titan or JASS or YASS for Solaris, but take a look at
    TARA (www-arc.com) from ARC - it's an upgrade to TIGER and it support
    IRIX 6.5. Unfortunately the publicly available version is outdated but
    it is very easy to tailor TARA to your own needs as it is implemented
    mainly as shell script. TARA can help you in evaluation process of areas
    that need hardening or to verify some areas of your hardening process.

    The only use of TARA during pen-test I can think of is during test when
    you already have an account on attacked host and just wish to check for
    few simple vulnerabilities that would be helpful in further system
    penetration.

    There is also a good paper on IRIX/MIPS shellcode:
    http://packetstormsecurity.nl/groups/teso/mipsshellcode.pdf

    It can give you important details that will let you start from solid
    ground.

    Best Regards,
    Aleksander Czarnowski
    AVET INS

    The Lightning Console aggregates IDS events, correlates them with
    vulnerability info, reduces false positives with the click of a button, anddistributes this information to hundreds of users.

    Visit Tenable Network Security at http://www.tenablesecurity.com to learn
    more.