RE: Know such a web's server tool? -- huh

From: Alvin Oga (alvin.secat_private-Consulting.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 22:59:20 PDT

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Paul Vet wrote:

    > Except for trying actual exploits, give nmap (http://www.insecure.org/nmap/)
    > a shot.  It's very powerful on its own, and CPAN has some perl modules
    > (http://search.cpan.org/search?query=nmap) to control it if you're feeling
    > creative.
    >
    > You might want to consider Nessus (http://www.nessus.org/) for it's tests,
    > it has an exploit scripting engine (I believe).

    okay.... i'll bite ...  why does everybody/somebody think that "pen-test"
    means to run a port scan w/ nmap/nessus .. etc ..

    so what if nmap and other port scanner tells you that you have
    	- port 25 open on your mail server
    	- port 80 is open on your web server
    	- port 22 is open on your ssh login server
    	... now what do you do with that info ???

    -- i say there is a dayz work of patches to apply to most of the generic
       linux distro's install  and  depending on time, budget and paranoia,
       that there is a minimum of 1-2 hrs a day to baby sit "each server"
       and/or automating your "test farm of updates"to be automatically
       updating your "100,500,1000,5,000 production machines"

    -- for a tool that tells you a result of the "hackability" of any server

    	- run "all of the script kiddie" tools ...
    	  it's all free, and have been written and proved to work or not
    	  if the vulnerability exists

    	- this doesn't require any skill set, other than finding the
    	  scripts that the "kiddies" uses to play with servers on the net

    c ya
    alvin