Re: A little OT: Diffie Hellman Exchange and Encryption on Cisco Routers

From: Ranjeet Shetye (ranjeet.shetye2at_private)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 10:38:22 PDT

    Here's a little note I wrote a long time back, that I keep around to
    remind myself of the DH details.

    ----------------
    Alice knows a.

    Bob knows b.

    They both know g and n, where g has the mathematical property that it
    is primitive mod n.

    Alice sends A (= g ^ a (mod n)) to Bob

    Bob sends B (= g ^ b (mod n)) to Alice.

    Alice does kA = B ^ a mod n
    Bob does kB = A ^ b mod n = ((g ^ a) mod n) ^ (b mod n) = (g ^ a ^ b)
    mod n = ((g ^ b) mod n) ^ (a mod n) = B ^ a mod n = kA

    i.e. both Alice and Bob have ended up with the final same number kA ==
    kB, without sharing their secrets 'a' or 'b' with each other.

    For a 100-line technical summary of many of the mathematical concepts
    used in cryptography, here's a link. chew on it slowly :)

    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/cisspstudy/2001-q4/0131.html

    HTH,
    --
    Ranjeet Shetye