Re: TFTP Scanner recommendation requested

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 14:08:07 PDT

    Barry,

    > Actually, what I'm concerned with there (and
    > likewise on the Windows
    > boxes) is kernel-level process hiding rootkits -
    > somebody having started
    > a tftp server and then hiding it in the process list
    > via kernel-level
    > "patch".  So, scanning over the network would be
    > better.  But, as you so
    > aptly said, scanning via UDP in this way provides
    > questionable results.

    Yes, that's something to keep in mind.  It's something
    I ran into w/ an audit...the audit report was preceded
    by two pages of "why UDP scans are unreliable", then
    reported a great number of UDP ports open...

    > Actually, without considering the possibility of a
    > rootkit that hides
    > the process, I'd consider a nice shellscript
    > reporting tool to be fairly
    > simple to write ('ps ax' and comparing against a
    > baseline, just in case
    > the tftp server were renamed - actually, that would
    > serve as more than a
    > tftp server-finder) - in fact, simpler than on MS
    > Windows... but
    > rootkits really throw  a wrench into both
    > situations. :)

    I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here.
    Taking the rootkit issue out of the equation for a
    moment, running lsof or fuser on the Linux boxen, and
    openports (rather than fport) on the Windows boxen,
    will identify processes bound to UDP port 69 as a
    listener/server.

    Now, putting rootkits back into the picture...while
    such things are more prevalent on Linux boxen, they
    are by no means impossible on Windows...though we
    haven't seen nearly the volume/variety as we have on
    Linux.  Of course, the whole thing goes back to system
    configurations, permissions, and ACLs.

    > So, certainly,
    > the most optimal type of tool would be a scanner
    > that looks for active
    > tftp servers over the network, focusing primarily on
    > detecting tftp
    > connections via UDP for my purposes.

    One idea might be a snort box, w/ the appropriate rule
    in place to pick up TFTP traffic.

    Harlan