Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: [tool] the new p0f 2.0.1 is now out

From: Thor Larholm (thorat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 14:21:45 PDT

    Well, there will have to be SOME packets entering your network, they will just
    be indistinguishable from regular traffic. If you wanted to detect a passive OS
    fingerprinting, you might want to test derivations from ordinary patterns of
    regular traffic, such as a user constantly requesting the same HTTP ressource or
    constantly trying to send the same ICMP packets.

    You won't be able to detect a pOf scan with some static ruleset, but from the
    patternbreaking actions of a user trying to generate lots and lots of legitimate
    traffic. This would likely become easier if pOf was used as part of some larger
    toolset.

    Regards
    Thor Larholm
    PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher