Spoofing...

From: Jones, Benny (Benat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 09:32:05 PST

    In running some tests, I've found a system that is vulnerable to
    nessus' teso_telnet.nasl attack.  But when I told the admins about
    it, they said that because it was protected by a router and that
    only certain addresses could connect to it, that it was not as big
    a problem as I was claiming.

    My manager suggested that I try to spoof the address of one of the
    machines that is allowed to connect to this system.  So I've been
    trying to edit teso_telnet.nasl into an attack that uses forged
    packets with a particular source address.

    My problem is that I'm not sure that this attack is possible with
    forged addresses.  The 3-way handshake can't complete, can it?
    Basically, I'm fairly confused.  Can I perform this attack with
    a spoofed address?  Anyone want to offer up a clue?

    Thanks.

    Benny