bugtraq id 4006 may not be valid

From: Michael Scheidell (scheidellat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 18:04:39 PST

    MSDTC dos attack:
          bugtraq id 4006
          object msdtc
          class Failure to Handle Exceptional Conditions

    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4006

    (see :
    tried to reproduce by sending 1024 bytes (and 2048 bytes and 10K bytes) of
    random data to msdtc listeingt port 3372.
    no effect.
    no ms event log, service still running.
    system is MS win2k, sp2, running ms sql server 7 sp2.

    Methodology used: nessus security scanner:
    (am I reading things reight in the advisory, and would my script do what the
    advisory suggests?)

    if (get_port_state(3372))
    {
     sock3372 = open_sock_tcp(3372);
     if (sock3372)
     {
      send(socket:sock3372, data:crap(10000));
      close(sock3372);
      sleep(5);
      sock3372_sec = open_sock_tcp(3372);
      if (!sock3372_sec)
      {
       security_hole(port:3372);
      }
     }
    }

    I verified logic by starting security test and stoping the service by hand
    (and it gave me positive, which is what I would have thought if I manually
    stopped service during test)
    --
    Michael Scheidell
    Secnap Network Security, LLC