Re: Old vulnerabilities...

From: Michael Katz (mikeat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 16:20:10 PST

    At 3/3/2003 03:57 PM, Michel Arboi wrote:

    >Some time ago, I was digging into CVE and I wondered if we shouldn't
    >test very old vulnerabilities (because we do not. Not *all* of them)
    >Two reasons for yes:
    >1. An archeocomputer may have been lost in a corner of a network.
    >2. People never learn, and old bugs tend to pop up sooner or later
    >
    >One reason for no:
    >why bother? We have enough new vulnerabilities now.

    Michel,

    Short answer: Yes, definitely.

    Long answer: Given limited resources, it makes sense to prioritize and go
    after the most critical vulnerabilities first.  To me, critical is defined
    as high-risk and widespread (the new Sendmail vulnerability is a good
    example).  But I still want to know about _any_ vulnerability on any
    system, no matter how old.  While the script kiddies are unlikely to target
    old vulnerabilities, a determined attacker is going to find and exploit any
    vulnerability to gain unauthorized access or do harm.

    Michael Katz
    mikeat_private
    Procinct Security