Guidelines for Writing Plugins?

From: George Theall (theallat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 20:04:32 PDT

    Are there guidelines for writing plugins? I'm working on one to detect a
    recently-announced vulnerability in IMP (a webmail product) and would
    like to see it included with the standard plugin set available via
    nessus.org.  Never having done this before, though, I have questions:

    o How do I pick a script ID?

    o Do I simply post the plugin here to have it reviewed / included on
      nessus.org?

    o Any coding standards to follow? I notice others seem to keep=20
      comments and variable names to a minimum. Is there any particular
      reason for this?

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    George
    --