[Plugins-writers] CVE revision of plugins (diff attached)

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino (jfernandez@private)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 03:24:24 PST

    Hi there!

    Ok:

    $ ls |wc -l
        1810
    $ grep -iL cve *nasl |wc -l
         717

    So, there are 717 with no mention of CVE references whatsoever, that's
    quite a lot but CVE is not complete. I have taken some time do a CVE
    revision, and attached is the result (48 files reviewed). Some comments:

    - for those I have not been able to found any CVE references I've
    added 'script_cve_id("CVE-MAP-NOMATCH");'. Why? Because it makes it
    easier to do further reviews (just look for those files that do _not_
    have script_cve_id). The fact that there is _no_ CVE reference is
    useful and will avoid others to review (over and over) the same files
    if they don't have a CVE id. I'm using the same token Bugtraq uses
    even if http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-MAP-NOMATCH
    is invalid.

    - For all those "default accounts" plugins I've used "CAN-1999-0508"
    or any of the CAN-1999-0501 to CAN-1999-0508 appropiate (those are
    generic entries for null, blank, guessable, and default passwords over
    different systems).

    - I've added more information on the CISCO plugins since some are not
    verbose enough to determine _what_ precisely is the problem.

    Hopefully this is useful to others, and Renaud will include it in CVS
    after others have a chance to comment any mistakes I might have done.

    Regards

    Javi

    PS: I'm not sure I will be able to review the pending 669 but, just
    for the record, I've started in the order given by ' grep -iL cve
    *nasl' (top to bottom).