Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Richard Moore (rich@private)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 07:42:04 PST

    Renaud Deraison wrote:
    > I don't really think that it means anything to have a text file licensed
    > under the GPL. The GPL deals with linking, machine code, and a lot of
    > things which do not apply to plugin text, which is why I consider that
    > "traditional" text copyright applies to the report text (otherwise, does
    > it mean that if you load the GPL report with a text editor, your text
    > editor falls under the GPL since you "link" the report within the editor ?)

    That's very true, in fact there has been a long standing warning against
    the use of the GPL for documentation (which in a way this is). If you
    want an 'equivalent' license for this sort of the Free Documentation
    License might be worth a look. People of a Debian persuation should be
    careful though as there has been a row about this license and whether
    the facility to have invariant sections violates the debian guidelines.

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#FDL

    Cheers

    Rich.