[Plugins-writers] Sucking the Machine Name out of the Registry

From: john@private
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 22:54:11 PDT

    I'm playing around with a plugin to grab the Windows machine name out of the
    registry.  I'm a bit new to NASL, and not much of a coder to be honest, but
    learning...

    I took Renaud's plugin for winreg checking (10431) as a template and went
    after the
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerName
    key-item.  My question comes with how to display the results back through
    the reporting engine.

    Currently, we don't get good results with the port 137 Netbios plugin due to
    some hit and miss on having port 137 available.  But all our registry
    munging works fine.  Rather than handling this with scripting after the
    Nessus report is exported, I thought a plugin would be better, and the
    registry is obviously the authoritative place to grab this information.

    In the documentation under section 3.2.4 there is a "get_host_name", but I'm
    guessing this is a reverse DNS lookup, rather than an RPC call.

    Any comments are appreciated.  I realize this probably involves storing the
    information in the KB, but not sure how we push information out to the
    report.

    Draft script attached.

    Thanks,

    -John