RE: [Plugins-writers] Unsynchronised clock detection

From: Martin O'Neal (martin.oneal@private)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 08:12:02 PDT

> It seems to be some (but not all) routers.
> This is from a modified version of the icmp_timestamp.nasl
> As you can see, the response is little-endian, but with x80
> set on the first byte.

RFC792 has this following note in it:

 "If the time is not available in milliseconds or cannot be provided
 with respect to midnight UT then any time can be inserted in a
 timestamp provided the high order bit of the timestamp is also set
 to indicate this non-standard value."

It is possible that the timestamp format may be due to the clock not
being synced at all. More research is probably needed to be definitive I
suspect. I'll knock up a Perl script and run some tests...

Martin...