Re: [Plugins-writers] Unsynchronised clock detection

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 05:59:23 PDT

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 07:34:20AM +0100, Martin O'Neal wrote:
> However, if the script just grabs the first clock and exits, then it
> misses out on the opportunity to catch situations where the firewall/nat
> device hides multiple web servers behind a single IP address, or where a
> single web server has multiple addresses assigned.
>
> Both of these get picked up implicitly by the script...

The modified version of the script that I posted exits only when it
finds a first non-synchronised clock. The script does not contain any
logic to indicate to the user that the remote service is actually a NAT
to another box.

> What if I split it into three separate scripts; this should make the
> execution time more acceptable?

That's still slow. What could be done would be to modify ntp_open.nasl
and icmp_timestamp.nasl to write down in the KB that the remote host is
indeed replying to NTP and ICMP timestamp requests, and then make your
script depend on these two. This allows us to have a greater timeout AND
not waste time for nothing.

				-- Renaud