Re: [Plugins-writers] Checking NAV

From: Jason Haar (Jason.Haar@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 00:36:16 PST

Nicolas Pouvesle wrote:

> You need to provide administrator rights.
>
> On your windows machine, Remote Registry Service must be started.
> If your system is a Worgroup you must do that to :
>
> run gpedit.msc
>
> go to Computer configuration -> Windows settings -> Security settings
> -> Local Policies -> Security Options
>
> And switch value of "Network access: Sharing and security model for
> local accounts" to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves.
>
> If you don't do that you will try to connect as guest and you won't be
> able to look into the registry.

This is a very interesting statement - does this affect other Windows
checks too?

I am currently experiencing the problem with Nessus that our IS managers
aren't willing to let me run Nessus with a Domain Amin account [in order
to have Local Admin level access]. I don't blame them - in fact I said
it wasn't a good idea :-) - I don't want admin passwords lying around on
our 16 Nessus servers! So instead it runs with a domain "test account"
specifically set up for the purpose. However, it ain't a local admin -
so can't do most of the Windows tests. Does anyone know a "magic" way of
pushing out some form of "add domain account XXX to local admin group"
via Active Directory policies or even regedit? I for one would LOVE to know.

In fact, this really deserves a HOWTO. Most sites must be wanting to run
Nessus against Windows boxes, and how safely and securely set up test
accounts/etc are central to how well this would work.

I could even volunteer! ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417