[Plugins-writers] MS Password Policy Enumeration

From: John T. Hoffoss (john.t.hoffoss@private)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 08:25:14 PST

<plugin-writing-newb>

Hi all, longtime uesr, first time [attempted] writer. I'll try to keep
it short. I'm looking for a way to enumerate password policy on
Windows hosts:
* lockout policy
* min password age
* max password age
* min password length
* password complexity (if possible; I don't think this one can be
gotten remotely w/o credentials)
* last login
* last password change

All of this can be acquired with nbtenum, enum, superscan, among
others. I want a way to pull that info into a Nessus report though.

After this, I want to try a quick password-guessing plugin that will
try the username, password, and a configurable guess or two. I'd
further want this to limit the guesses to one less than the lockout
setting (if available). This could possibly be used to trigger a Hydra
run as well, should lockout be set to zero.

What I need: a starting point. I know there was a posting or two over
a year ago about the same topic, but it didn't appear that anything
came of it. Can anyone give me a clue as to what plugins to start
looking at? I know these two will be rather complicated starter
plugins, but I'm up for giving it a shot.

</newb>

Unrelated question: when Nessus runs NMap or Hydra, what version is
used? Is the version installed on the system used, or is it included
in Nessus somewhere?

Thanks for your help!